Category: Wrecks Country: Croatia

Italian patrol boat Peloro

Lat: 42.753771206672 Lng: 16.81565
Italian patrol boat Peloro
The Peloro was a small tugboat 28.50 m long and 5.85 m wide with a 213 tonne displacement. It is known that is was built in 1916 at the Dutch shipyard of A. Pannevis in Alphen for a Dutch customer, and that it carried the name Admiral de Ruyter. However, on 26th August 1916 the very same year, it was sold to the Italian Navy who renamed it to Peloro and converted it into a patrol ship. A platform was added to the prow with a small gun, and the Peloro immediately entered service as a patrol boat. According to the very scant data, the Peloro was wrecked on 17th November 1918, just two weeks after the end of the First World War, when at the mouth of the Bay of Ubli on the island of Lastovo (Croatia), it struck a mine and sank.

The Peloro lies in an upright position on the sandy seabed at a depth of 52 metres. Its hull is very well-preserved, although overgrown with crustaceans, a patchwork of sea sponges and diverse sea vegetation. 
Go to List